Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Apparently so

So in regard to my last post, apparently I am the only person who isn't in love with the fall. (Except for my mom--hmm...). It's not that I hate this time of year, it's just that I don't get why everyone else loves it so much. My reasons are threefold. 

1. Fall signifies the end to me. The end of summer and freedom and trips and warm weather. It seems sort of like an annoying messenger bringing the sad news of winter. Fall hits and all I can hear is, "The end! It will soon be so cold you can't leave your house for 6 months and you will go crazy with your two little children bored out of their minds every day!" 

2. In a similar vein, it reminds me that the holidays are coming and that after all of those months of preparations and anticipation, after all of the family has come and the house is so full, there will be an end. The holidays are so fast. I love that time of year and it is so fun, but it is also so fleeting. Before I know it my plans that I have had in store for 5 months are over. The presents are opened, the decorations are packed, and the house is empty again. And then the waiting game begins with nothing to do between January 1st and April/Easter. So in this way, fall just seems...lonely. 

3. I honestly just like other times of the year better. I LOVE SPRING. After being stuck in my house forever trapped by snow and ice and freezing cold the spring feels like hope. We can play again!! We can leave the house without 40 layers! Spring colors are beautiful. The flowers appear and everything smells so good and fresh. Then summer creeps in and it is so hot that all you want to do is go to the pool...so you do. You can ride your bike and play outside. You go on trips and visit family. There are parades and carnivals and street vendors. You can make a giant slip and slide down Grandma's hill that the grown ups play on longer than the kids. I loved the fourth of July this year. We saw the balloons and watched part of the parade. We had home made root beer and I wore a cute summer skirt while we ate outside. Then we all laughed at hubby while he slowly gathered a flock of neighborhood kids around him in front of our house as he pulled out 8 year old illegal fireworks and we sat in lawn chairs enjoying his show until the sun went down. 

So, no. I don't love fall. It's fine. But Christmas and carols are wonderful. And warm summer nights are fabulous. Sigh. If only California wasn't going to the dogs. I think I could live with spring/summer year round. 

No comments: