Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Small things

Recently my sister-in-law had her first baby. It's been really fun watching her new little family interact and it reminds me so much of when we first had G. We were talking about motherhood and how it can be hard. There are long demanding hours and people who don't listen to you. It can feel isolating and lonely where you are dying for adult conversation. Often times you feel unappreciated for all of the sacrifices and changes you are making. I once told my mom that if this was a job that I was being paid for, I think I would quit!! 

There are those times, though, when everything seems to come together. Today we stayed home and had a lazy day. At one point I was caramelizing onions for dinner and the whole house smelled amazing. G sat next to H and proudly read her a book that he was making all on his own. She smiled and laughed at her big brother. I checked in on E and found him laying on the floor happily playing with cars. I went back and stirred my onions and listened to the happy noise of children playing and smelled home-cooking. All of a sudden I had the crystal clear thought, "This is as good as it gets. Our lives are so good and I am so happy." 

Five minutes later everyone was fighting or crying again, but I've learned over time that these short moments somehow make it enough. 


1 comment:

Jill said...

Those (very) few nice, quiet moments really are worth all of the crying, fighting, and other drama.

Most of the time.