Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reading List

As many of you know, since around November I have been voraciously reading juvenile literature. I tell you, it was like tapping a hidden oil spring! Wonderful! So for anyone interested, I thought I'd make a list of some of my more favorite series that are totally worth checking out. Keep in mind that I tend to exhaust an author's entire arsenal so sometimes it's worth starting here and then reading everything they've written (which I often have). 

1. The Ranger's Apprentice books 1-4. 
I can't wait for the later books to come out. My mom said that for her, these might rival the Harry potter series. (I know--such blasphemy!)

2. Goose Girl; Enna Burning; River Secrets; Princess Academy; Book of a Thousand Days. 
Basically, Shannon Hale is the woman. 

3. Inkheart & Inkdeath
Cornelia Funke is a pretty good bet just in general. 

4. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. LOVE IT!

5. The Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. 

6. The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. 
These are a little odd and took me a little bit to get into. I would recommend some of the other series ahead of these--but I am still eagerly awaiting the conclusion to this series. 

7. The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
I didn't LOVE the first one, but it gets better and better as the series goes on. Even Brian read and liked these and that's saying something. 

8. The City of Ember and Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

9. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

10. The Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr

11. The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney
Warning! This is a really dark series that is really kind of creepy at times. I'm not sure it should be labeled juvenile and I'm not sure I would recommend it to a non-adult. 

Random Adult Fiction that I have recently read and recommend:

1. The Strangeness of Beauty by Lydia Minatoya 
I actually re-read this because we are reading it for book group. I can't put my finger on what exactly I like about this book other than to say that I think it's beautiful and it keeps me engaged even though it isn't a fast or action filled read. 

2. Persuasion by Jane Austen
I've recently discovered my love for Jane Austen. Who knew?

Hmm....clearly I have focused on the younger genre. What can I say? When you find something good you stick with it!

Goals:

More Jane Austen

The latest books in most of the series I listed above

At some point I plan on reading the newer Stephanie Meyers stuff, but I kind of feel like a dork doing it. Maybe I'll get it and cover it with a paper bag while I read it on vacation!

No wonder my dissertation isn't done, my yard is full of weeds, and my house isn't clean. Oh well. 

1 comment:

Sister Pottymouth said...

Can I borrow your copy of Strangeness of Beauty? No one else can find it anywhere.